by Gift Nwachukwu | Apr 23, 2022 | Celebrities, Entertainment, Foreign News, Social issues
Netflix has canceled the sequel to Will Smith’s 2017 action film ‘Bright’ after he slapped Chris Rock at the Oscars.
According to a Bloomberg source, the 2017 sci-fi action thriller ‘Bright’ which was directed by David Ayer, has been cancelled by the streaming giant.
Also, the actor’s National Geographic nature series, ‘Pole to Pole’ which follows the 53-year-old star to the North and South Poles, and was set to begin filming in three weeks, has been put on hold until fall 2022, the news source reported.
The sudden cancellation of ‘Bright’ is apparently unrelated to the recent controversy surrounding Smith, who made global headlines after he slugged Chris Rock during last month’s Academy Awards show, Bloomberg reported.
Additional projects Smith had lined up that have been getting smacked down, include a movie for Sony that has been delayed and another Netflix project, ‘Fast and Loose’.
Recall that in March, Smith slapped Academy Awards presenter Chris Rock on stage after Rock made a joke about Smith’s wife, Jada Pinkett Smith.
Chris Rock, 57, was presenting the Oscar for Best Documentary during the event at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood when he joked about Will Smith’s wife, Jada Pinkett Smith’s shaved head.
The actress had openly shared her alopecia struggles, and did not laugh at the joke when he compared her to the shaved head look of Demi Moore in the 1997 movie G.I. Jane.
Smith then approached the stage and slapped Rock hard across the face.
The Academy issued a statement banning Smith from attending and being part of any Academy event or programs: ‘The Board of Governors has decided, for a period of 10 years, from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs in person or virtually,’ the statement read, in part.
Smith told Page Six after the Academy’s April 8 board ruling : ‘I accept and respect the Academy’s decision,’ he said.
by Gift Nwachukwu | Apr 23, 2022 | Celebrities, General News, Politics, Social issues
The Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi, has died at the age of 83.
It was gathered that the monarch died at the Afe Babalola University Teaching Hospital, Ado Ekiti, on Friday night, April 22nd and his body has since been taken to Oyo state where his burial rites have since begun.
Oba Lamidi who ruled for 52 years was said to be the longest-reigning Alaafin ever.
Report has it that the monarch had been sick and a plan had been made to fly him abroad with a few of his wives before his sudden demise late Friday night.
Alaafin Adeyemi was born Lamidi Olayiwola Atanda Adeyemi on October 15, 1938 into the Alowolodu Royal House of the famous Oyo town. He was crowned on November 18, 1970, succeeding Oba Gbadegesin Ladigbolu I. He was known popularly as Iku Baba Yeye.
He is survived by many wives and children.
May his soul rest in peace, Amen.
by Gift Nwachukwu | Mar 10, 2022 | Foreign News, Social issues
Western officials have warned of their ‘serious concern’ that Russian President Vladimir Putin could use chemical weapons in Ukraine to commit further atrocities during the invasion.
The officials claim that an ‘utterly horrific’ attack could be launched on the capital of Kyiv to revive the Russian war effort amid logistical issues, mechanical failures, and a lack of fuel for their armoured vehicles.
In a briefing with journalists, one Western official who spoke on on condition of anonymity said: ‘I think we’ve got good reason to be concerned about possible use of non-conventional weapons, partly because of what we’ve seen has happened in other theatres.
‘As I’ve mentioned before, for example, what we’ve seen in Syria, partly because we’ve seen a bit of setting the scene for that in the false flag claims that are coming out, and other indications as well.
‘So it’s a serious concern for us.’
UK’s Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said that the UK has already handed Kyiv 3,615 anti-tank weapons, known as NLAWs, or new light-antitank weapons.
He said a ‘small consignment’ of Javelin anti-tank missiles will follow, while ministers consider whether to send Starstreak high-velocity anti-air missiles.
But a Polish proposal to hand its MiG-29 fighter jets to a US military base in Germany, with the expectation they would be handed to Ukrainian pilots, was dismissed in Washington.
The warnings came as Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky declared a Russian missile attack had landed a ‘direct strike’ on a maternity hospital in the southern port city of Mariupol.
The hospital was decimated, with women and children feared trapped underground in what Zelensky described as ‘an atrocity’.
Ukraine’s Foreign minister Dmytro Kuleba called it a ‘petrifying war crime’, as he pleaded for allies to supply Ukraine with aircraft.
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said there are ‘few things more depraved than targeting the vulnerable and defenceless, while Foreign Secretary Liz Truss described the hospital attack as ‘absolutely abhorrent’, but continued to reject Ukraine’s request for a no-fly zone to be imposed over its skies.
by Gift Nwachukwu | Jan 17, 2022 | Health, Social issues
Nigerians consume sugary drinks a lot. Now, the government plans to tax them for this habit. Will this save them from preventable deaths linked to sugary drinks? MOSES EMORKIEN writes.
An anonymous quote said: “One of the biggest sins any Nigerian may commit today is to fall sick or need emergency healthcare service.” As much as a citizen would like to be patriotic, defend the country and utterly disregard and condemn the above statement, there is not so much to defend.
While the latest health system rankings by the World Health Organization (WHO) showed that Nigeria advanced from being ranked 187 out of 191 countries two decades ago, to 163 out of 191 countries, the health reality in the country is not one every Nigerian can be proud of.
Incessant health workers’ strikes, inadequate manpower and infrastructure, poor funding, huge out-of-pocket expenses to access quality medical care, are among a host of problems bedeviling the health sector. The new entrant is the COVID-19 pandemic which largely undressed and revealed the deep-seated rot in the Nigeria health system.
More than ever before, Nigerians need to take their health more seriously. More so, there is no better time to make healthier choices than now when the world has been awakened to the rude shock of the COVID-19 pandemic and its attendant morbidities (illnesses) and mortalities (deaths). Chances are that if Nigerians make healthier choices (eating, drinking, sanitation, exercising, vaccination etc.,), their immune systems will be strong enough to fight any disease, hence, keeping them healthy, alive and productive. For example, in recognition of the effect of consumption of tobacco and alcohol on the severity and mortality of coronavirus infections, countries like India and South Africa banned the consumption of these “health bads” for a period of time.
Sadly, according to a study by WellNewMe, a health technology company, 75 per cent of Nigerians are at risk of non-communicable diseases (NCDs), which reduces their chances of survival, especially when other diseases such as COVID-19 hit them. A study carried out in Lagos by Osibogun and colleagues in Lagos at the height of the pandemic in 2020 revealed that the mortality rate of COVID-19 patients was higher in those with co-morbidities. The co-morbidities that were identified as risk factors for death were hypertension, diabetes, renal disease, cancer, cardiovascular disease and HIV. In the study, a significantly higher proportion of patients with co-morbidities died compared to those without – with many of these co-morbidities linked to lifestyle choices such as consuming unhealthy foods and drinks, especially Sugar Sweetened Beverages (SSBs).
According to a World Bank Group report obtained by The Nation, there is now a strong evidence base on the association between the consumption of SSBs and health outcomes. The report revealed that consumption of SSBs have been associated with higher incidence of weight gain, overweight, obesity, type 2 diabetes, dental caries, heart disease, metabolic syndrome, cancer, and all-cause and cause-specific mortality.
In fact, in 2016, a global soft drinks market analysis showed that Nigeria is the fourth highest consumer in the world market for soft drinks (with over 40 million liters sold yearly), coming after the United States, China and Mexico. The market was also projected to grow by 17.12 per cent per year between 2021 and 2026, resulting in a market size of about 10 billion USD (in retail prices).
Sugar sweetened beverages (SSBs) include any liquid that contains natural or added sweeteners including various forms of sugars such as brown sugar, corn sweetener, corn syrup, dextrose, fructose, glucose, high-fructose corn syrup, honey, lactose, malt syrup, maltose, molasses, raw sugar, and sucrose. These may include soft drinks (i.e., colas, malt), juices (even 100 per cent juices), nectars, sweetened coffee, sweetened tea, energy drinks, specialty drinks, and flavored dairy.
How consumption of SSBs threaten Nigeria’s health and economy
Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning Zainab Ahmed, while presenting the breakdown of the 2022 budget, announced that the Federal Government has introduced an excise tax of N10 per liter on all non-alcoholic, carbonated, and sweetened beverages.
Explaining that the new tax was introduced to raise excise duties and revenues for health-related and other critical expenditures in line with the 2022 budget priorities, Ahmed added that the primary aim of the tax is to discourage excessive consumption of sugar in beverages, which contributes to obesity, diabetes, and other diseases.
According to a Senior Health Specialist at the World Bank, Dr Olumide Okunola, “Disease burden is shifting from communicable diseases, with 29 per cent of mortality attributable to non-communicable diseases (NCDs). Cardiovascular diseases, cancer and type 2 diabetes are the most prevalent. “37 per cent of productivity losses in Africa are due to NCDs, and Nigeria is among the top five (5) countries with highest Disability Adjusted Life Year (DALYs) accrued in Africa. DALYs represent the loss of the equivalent of one year of full health. In 2015 alone, accrued DALY’s could have led to loss of productivity of $879,059,495.82 for Nigeria. It is noteworthy that out of the total productivity costs, those in the most productive age bracket of 15 to 59 years would bear about 38 per cent of such losses. The case for modifying these risk factors downwards is therefore grounded not only in health but also an economic argument.”
Speaking with The Nation, the Managing Director of the Nigerian Health Watch, Vivianne Ihekweazu, explained that the pro-health tax on SSBs should bring long term benefits and healthcare costs savings through the prevention of non-communicable diseases like diabetes.
“Data indicates that 1 out of every 17 adults in Nigeria is living with diabetes. The Federal Government is taking this action to improve the economic and health indices of the country.
“The tax generated from SSBs will result in key outcomes: a gain for public health by bringing about improved health outcomes and reduced healthcare costs; a plus for domestic revenue by introducing a new source of funding; and a win for the economy by the reduced loss in productivity due to ill health,” she said.
MOSES EMORKIEN
by Gift Nwachukwu | Jan 13, 2022 | Celebrities, Social issues
Jason Momoa and Lisa Bonet has announced they are splitting after 16 years of relationship – 12 years of friendship and partnership, and 4 years of marriage.
This they made public in a joint statement posted on Momoa’s Instagram page on Wednesday.
The couple who started dating in 2005 and married in 2017 said “a revolution is unfolding and our family is of no exception… feeling and growing from the seismic shifts occurring”
They further stated they chose to announce the end of their relationship “not because we think it’s newsworthy,” but so that “as we go about our lives we may do so with dignity and honesty.”
“The love between us carries on, evolving in ways it wishes to be known and lived,” the couple continued. “We free each other to be who we are learning to become…”
“Our devotion unwavering to this sacred life & our Children. Teaching our Children What’s possible -Living the Prayer May Love Prevail. J & L”.
Momoa 42 and Bonet 54 married in October 2017 after being together for over a decade.
by Gift Nwachukwu | Jan 12, 2022 | Celebrities, Entertainment, Social issues, Uncategorized
Simon Cowell is set to marry his longtime girlfriend Lauren Silverman after 13 years of dating.
The music mogul, who is a popular judge on various British Television talent competition series had previously insisted he would never get married.
It was gathered that Simon reportedly proposed to Lauren on Christmas Eve in Barbados in the presence of their seven-year-old son Eric and Lauren’s older son Adam.
A source revealed to the sun that “Lauren was absolutely stunned and never in a million years expected Simon to pop the question. She burst into tears – happy tears – and obviously said ‘yes’ straight away”.
“It was important to Simon that the kids were there too, as he adores them both and the family they’ve become.”
The source added that “Whilst Simon never thought he was the marrying type, he’s realised he’s met the woman of his dreams – and couldn’t be happier. In the words of Beyoncé, it was time to put a ring on it.”
Simon, 62, first met New York City socialite Lauren, 44, in 2004, when she was on holiday in Barbados with her then-husband Andrew Willner. They went public with their relationship after Lauren’s divorce with Andrew in 2013 and in 2014, welcomed their son Eric.