Russian and Belarusian athletes banned from Paralympics

Russian and Belarusian athletes banned from Paralympics

Russian and Belarusian athletes have now been banned from the Winter Paralympic Games because of the Ukraine invasion, a reversal of a decision just a day before.

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) made the announcement on Thursday March 3 in Beijing just 24 hours before the games begin in Beijing.

At a news conference, IPC President Andrew Parsons said initially organisers were thinking of “the long-term health and survival of the Paralympic Movement”.

But, since then, he said many other teams had contacted them “threatening not to compete” [if Russian and Belarusian athletes were allowed to join them].

Citing safety and security concerns and the desire to maintain “the spirit of fair play”, he said the IPC had changed its stance.

“In order to preserve the integrity of these Games and the safety of all participants, we have decided to refuse the athlete entries from RPC and NPC Belarus,” he added.

On Wednesday the committee announced it would allow Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete at the Games, which open on Friday, but only as neutral athletes with colours, flags, and other national symbols removed. The decision drew immediate criticism.

Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, Nadine Dorries, had said the IPC had made the “wrong decision” and called on them to “urgently reconsider” – while the British Paralympic Association said it was “disappointed”.

Reacting to Thursday’s change of heart, she said: “I am pleased that the IPC has now come to the right decision and answered our call to ban Russian and Belarus athletes in response to [Vladimir] Putin’s barbaric, senseless invasion.

“The welfare of all the other competing athletes is of utmost importance and we are pleased the IPC also recognise that. The whole country will be fully behind our ParalympicsGB team at the Games.”

The British Paralympic Association had said: “We are disappointed by the International Paralympic Committee’s decision today.

“We, like many participating Paralympic nations, already stated that given the magnitude of the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine we cannot see how the participation of Russia or Belarus in the Beijing 2022 Paralympic Winter Games is compatible with the objectives of the Paralympic movement.

Watford to sign Nigerian winger Samuel Kalu after agreeing deal with Bordeaux

Watford to sign Nigerian winger Samuel Kalu after agreeing deal with Bordeaux

Watford are closing in on a £3.5million deal for Bordeaux and Nigerian winger, Samuel Kalu.

The 24-year-old is expected to undergo a medical on Wednesday January 19, prior to agreeing to a four-and-a-half-year contract.

The Nigeria international, who has 13 caps and two goals for the Super Eagles, will be Watford’s fourth signing of the January transfer window after defenders Samir, Hassane Kamara, and midfielder Edo Kayembe.

Kalu will also be the fifth Nigeria star at the Premier League club after William Ekong, Emmanuel Dennis, Maduka Okoye, and Oghenekaro Etebo.

AFCON: – Why Nigeria defeated us – Egypt coach, Queiroz

AFCON: – Why Nigeria defeated us – Egypt coach, Queiroz

Egypt coach, Carlos Queiroz, has said his team’s poor performance in the first 45 minutes of the game in the Africa Cup of Nations with Nigeria caused the Pharaohs’ loss.

In his post-match interview, Queiroz said his team was lost on the pitch in the half. He said “the performance in the first half was very poor and this is the truth, we were not on the field. We started playing in the second half and there was no reason for this failure and loss against Nigeria.

“We lost this match but there are six points we must get against Sudan and Guinea Bissau to qualify.”

The intelligent struck by Kelechi Iheanacho earned Nigeria her first-ever opening match win over Egypt at the Africa Cup of Nations with a 1-0 at full time.